Friday, 13 March 2015

I am everyone...


This advert made me think about the fact that I am the teacher I am today because of every student and teacher I have ever worked with.  The teachers who have had a positive impact upon me thus far in my career burn bright in my mind and I am eternally thankful to every one of them.  They are all so very different and I gained such very different things from each one.  Some I want to share and others I will keep just for us.

I gave thanks to the educators that have had impact upon me in my book How To Survive and Ofsted Inspection because their advice, they way they were with the students and their ways of dealing with issues came to me while I was writing.



So, to you lovely people I say thank you.

Peg, you taught me many things.  One thing that stays with me is your calm and warm demeanour. You made me feel like I could share anything with you.  But you also had a quiet fierceness about you that made me question myself in all the right ways.  You made me a better leader.  Thank you.

Brian, you taught me many things.  One thing that stays with me is your amazing way with the most challenging of students.  Seeing you melt the heart of the outwardly coldest of students was simply mind blowing to me as a young teacher.  You made me think about and approach the young people I work with differently. Thank you.

Emma, you taught me many things.  One thing that stays with me is your innovation in the classroom.  I remember being in your room as a young teacher and wanting to be a student in the class myself and forget my pile of marking and heaps of planning to do at the other end of the corridor.  You made me a more adventurous teacher.  Thank you.

Rhys, you taught me many things.  One thing that stays with me is your warm and honest approach to students.  I felt you had a real love for the students and brought out the fun side of them so easily.  You made me able to bond with my students better as a teacher.  Thank you.

Ben, you taught me many things.  One thing that stays with me is that you were such a great learner.  When you started with us you were so willing to take advice and better your practice.  You made massive leaps in your first year because of this approach and I was a little in awe. You helped me seek out advice from more experienced staff more and really reflect and act upon it. Thank you.

Marvin, you taught me many things.  One thing that stays with me is the importance of relationships. You were such role model to so many students.  You had a real presence about you that I could never emulate but your approach and your open and honest love for students while keeping clear and firm boundaries; that i could take.  You made me able to be not just a teacher but a... guardian I suppose to my students.

Nita, you taught me many things.  One thing that stays with me is how your personality came through in your teaching.  When I was in your classroom I really felt that your personality shone through.  Your students really got a feel for who you were,  your beliefs and your passions.  You made me want to be even more myself in the classroom.  Thank you.

Becky, you taught me many things.  One thing that stays with me is your insatiable drive. You worked harder and better than any new teacher I have ever come across.  You were the teacher at the end of your first year that I was after three, or even four years.  You made me want to work harder and faster as a leader and teacher.  And I thought I already did!  Thank you.

Sophia, you taught me many things.  One thing that stays with me is your originality in the classroom.  I never knew what to expect when I watched you teach and I was always pleasantly surprised.  You were always looking for different ways to approach things in the classroom.  You made me want to always think of new ways to approach old subject matter.  Thank you.

Donna, you taught me many things.  One thing that stays with me is your sense of fun in the classroom.  I remember watching you make your too-cool-for-school Y10 class chant and clap along with you like they didn't care what anyone thought of them.  You made me loosen up in the classroom and just have a little fun a little more.  Thank you.

Leona, you taught me many things.  One thing that stays with me is your no-nonsense approach to problems that arose.  You never minced your words and you got the job done, and quickly.  You made me hone my prioritisation skills and made me want to get my jobs done effectively and use my time well.  Thank you.

Mark, you taught me many things.  One thing that stays with me is your presence.  You had a calm and pressing presence.  Students and staff were always calm and focused when you were talking with them.  You made me be much more self aware.  You allowed me the calm focus to look at my professional self honestly. Thank you.

Tom, you taught me many things.  One thing that stays with me is your warm manner and open door. You were always available and so happy to chat things over that needed sorting.  You made me relax and approach problems from a new perspective because of that.  Thank you.

Jack, you taught me many things.  One thing that stays with me is your passion for your team and the subjects you were leading.  You really listened to the team you were working with and wanted to make a difference.  And you did.  You made me want to always fight for what I believe in.  Thank you.

Nicola, you taught me many things.  One thing that stays with me is your deep empathy for our more vulnerable students.  You were so loved by those very needy students and they were lucky to have you in your role.  You made me remember how important it is for us to take the time for those students and let them know how much we care.  Thank you.

Faye, you taught me many things.  One thing that stays with me is your drive and determination to do things well right form the outset.  I feel so privileged when I have a chance to work with new teachers with such talent as I saw in you.  You made me re-appreciate working with young teachers and excited about the future of the profession. Thank you.

Roisin, you taught me many, many things.  One thing that stays with me is your ability to student-whisper.  You had a wonderful knack of tackling an escalating situation with a challenging student and have them smiling and calm in a matter of minutes.  I could rave about you of ages but I won't embarrass you.  Just know that you are great.  Thank you.

Rob, you taught me many things.  One thing that stays with me is your ability to create a happy community around you.  Students and staff warm to you so quickly.  You made me think about my ability to set the tone with staff and students.  Thank you.

I am so, so lucky to have worked with so many wonderful teachers over the years.

Here's to many more :-)


3 comments:

  1. Love this post- it's so powerful to walk back through your path of professional learning and remember the students, teachers, and teammates that have had an impact on your learning. I'm inspired by the "shout-outs" you've included, and will likely do something similar soon. It does remind me of a post about something called "The Inspiration Ratio" hat I thought you might enjoy: https://tborash.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/inspiration-ratio-how-do-we-sustain-the-love/

    ReplyDelete
  2. One is really immportant thing for students is 1WS. If you take it into advantage, you'll get a great mark for your writing task, and more free time for favourite subject. Just use it, and you'll never regret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful post. Very inspiring i have found some of my stipudents have inspired me over the years too.

    ReplyDelete